- GW Home
- Our Location
- Admissions & Aid
- GW Experience
- Faculty & Staff
Graduate Admissions for International Applicants
To apply for admission, begin by reviewing the step-by-step process. Please note that, in addition to the general application materials described under required materials and the Admission Requirements by Program pages, the following Web pages are important to international applicants:
The University’s fall semester begins in late August, spring semester in early January and summer sessions in mid-May. Not all programs admit students throughout the year; some offer admission only in the fall or spring semesters. International students are generally not admitted for the summer session.
Application deadlines, described under Timelines and Deadlines, vary by program and degree. Earlier deadlines are required for applicants who are interested in being considered for an assistantship or fellowship, as well as those who will be requiring a visa from GW. We encourage international applicants to submit their application and supporting documents as early as possible.
Application Tips for International Students
- When completing the application, be sure to provide your full legal name, as listed in your passport. If your transcripts or other supporting documents were issued in another name, also include that name on your application and attach a letter of explanation and evidence of the name change.
- Take standardized tests early enough to ensure that scores reach the admissions office before the application deadline.
- The $75 non-refundable application fee must be paid in U.S. dollars, by credit card (online only), international money order, or check. Your name must be written on the check or money order. Cash, international postal money orders, or Eurochecks are not accepted.
- Include a photocopy of the biographic/identification page of your passport with your application.
- If you have any questions, please contact the admissions office for the program to which you are applying. Contact information and office hours (Eastern Standard Time) are listed at the bottom of the Program Admission Requirements pages.