The amount of funding required will vary, depending on the source of your support. An estimate of the minimum amount of funding required per year is listed on the Visa Request form (PDF). As tuition and expenses can be expected to increase yearly, and actual costs may be higher for some GW schools and programs, you should check current tuition rates and estimated living expenses for updated information about the actual amount that must be certified.

When completing the form, you must indicate the required amount of funding for each year of your program. Funding may be from one or more specifically identified and reliable sources. If you are applying to a master’s program, you must indicate the amount of funds for two years (Year 1 and Year 2 on the form). If you are applying for a doctoral program, you must indicate the amount of funds for five years (Year 1 through Year 4 or 5 on the form). An I-20 or DS-2019 will not be approved if you indicate funding for less than the required number of years. Please review the sample Source of Funds charts (PDF).

You will still be considered for admission and any University funding (if available) even if you currently lack sufficient funding of your own. If you will be totally dependent on the University for funding, leave the Source of Funds section blank.

If you have a disability and will require attendant care, you must certify the availability of additional funds to pay for this service. For more information, contact Disability Support Services.

Students holding an F-1 or J-1 visa are required to carry health insurance. Students enrolled in F-1 or J-1 visa status will be automatically enrolled in the GW student health insurance plan and the cost of the plan will be added to the first semester's tuition bill. Students who already hold comparable health coverage may request to opt out of the plan.